Active Directory contact is changed to the phone number in the contact list of Lync2013/SfB2015

On 14th July 2015, a new Lync2013/SfB2015 client update was released (KB3054946 – 15.0.4737.1001). We were eager to see it released, especially because it includes the following fix:

Active Directory contact’s name is changed to the phone number in the contact list of Skype for Business or Lync 2013
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3072753

Most users didn’t notice it because this only affects AD Contacts without sip address or email address.

To explain this let’s think in the following scenario: the company Gears has 3 receptions. They are located in the same site and they aren’t Lync/Skype4B enabled. The receptions only have one telephone connected to a traditional PBX and we add them as contacts in AD, so that they are searchable in Lync/Skype4B.

In Lync2013/Skype4B, we add these receptions to our contact list:

displaynamephone01

Now we need to sign off and sign in again. After this, the Display Name is replaced with the contact Phone Number:

displaynamephone02

If we don’t know the exact telephone number, we won’t be able to tell which of the results we need to call.

For the Lync2013/Skype4B client with the July 2015 update, we have the same behaviour as in the Lync 2010 client:

displaynamephone01

displaynamephone03

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.